Netflix has been gaining popularity every day and one of the major reason for that is the amount of content that Netflix has right now. However, if you’re living outside the US then there’s a chance that you might not have access to all the content that Netflix has to offer. That’s because there is so much content that comes under the microscope for censorship and other regulations which differs from country to country.
That said, there’s always a workaround to access Netflix USA using a VPN. For those who don’t know, VPN or Virtual Private Network extends across a public or shared network and acts as a tunnel so you can exchange data securely and anonymously across the internet as if you were connected directly to a private network. Moreover, VPN also hides your actual location so you can access content which might not be accessible otherwise. A couple of years back, it was easy to access the US content on Netflix but the company has since made changes which restrict users from steaming when using a VPN.
However, there are a couple of VPNs that can bypass Netflix’s security net allowing users to stream on a VPN connection. Unfortunately, almost all the VPNs are paid and are expensive but there seems to be a free solution to the problem as well. Opera’s VPN seems to bypass Netflix’s security net and it does the same for free. So if you’re someone looking to stream Netflix but don’t want to pay for VPNs then you can follow the steps below to use Opera VPN:
- The first step should be to download the Opera Browser for Windows if you don’t have it.
- Once you download and install it, open Opera and go to Settings
- Inside Settings, go to Advanced>Privacy and Security and look for VPN.
- Enable the VPN option and now you will see a VPN icon beside the address bar on the top.
- Click on the VPN icon on the top and select the region you want to access. Opera provides three broad geographical regions namely, Asia, Europe and Americas.
- Once the region is selected, you can turn on the VPN.
- Now go to Netflix website and you can watch your favourite TV Shows or Movies.
This should give you access to your favourite shows and movies which might not be available in your region. The only downside to using Opera VPN is that it works on a broad geographical area so if a show or movie is restricted to a single country then it might take a couple of tries before you get the region right. Alternatively, you can go with NordVPN (via DeviceBar) which works perfectly well and allows you to connect to several countries. However, NordVPN is not free and you will have to shell out a minimum of $11.95 to use it. Or you could always go with their 3-year plan which will cost you $107.55 (which comes around $2.99/month). One drawback of using any VPN is the reduced speed but you should be fine as long as you have a decent internet connection.