Its hard to believe there was a time when Microsoft was seen as a failing upstart in the game console arena, and a few years ago, when the Wii was dominant, it was even harder to believe Microsoft would the best selling console for 14 out of the last 15 months.
The latest NPD figures for console sales in the US however goes to underline just how dominant Microsoft has become in that gaming arena, with the company having 40% of the market for the last 6 months, hitting 43% in August 2011, selling 308 thousand consoles.
The Playstation 3 only sold 218 thousand, despite a $50 price cut, and even the Nintendo 3DS, despite its own massive price cut, at 235 thousand failed to outsell the Microsoft console.
The full sales numbers are below.
Xbox 360: 308K
Nintendo 3DS: 235K
PlayStation 3: 218K (-3.5%)
Wii: 190K (-22.2%)
Nintendo DS: 165K (-51.9%)
Microsoft’s full PR for the NPD release is below:
Xbox 360 continued its lead over competing video-game consoles in August and has now sold more units in the U.S. than any other console for 14 of the past 15 months.
August 2011 highlights from the NPD Group, an independent market research firm that tracks the video-game industry, include:
· Holding 43 percent share of the overall current-generation console market, Xbox 360 sold 308,000 units in August, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. for 2011. This marks the sixth month Xbox 360 has had more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share.
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in August (hardware, software and accessories) reached $232 million, the most for any console in the U.S.
· During the month of August, the top two console game titles were for Xbox 360: “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” and “NCAA Football 12.”
With a massive portfolio of new blockbuster and Kinect titles coming this holiday season as well as new partnerships with Disney and Ultimate Fighting Championship, Xbox 360 is well-positioned for continued success. Below is a list of some of the top exclusive game titles launching in the coming months:
· Sept. 20th: “Gears of War 3”
· Oct. 11th: “Forza Motorsport 4” and “Kinectimals Now with Bears!”
· Oct. 25th: “Dance Central 2” and “Kinect Sports: Season Two”
· Nov. 15th: “Kinect: Disneyland Adventures” and “Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary”
Also, the highly-anticipated release of “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” launches Nov. 8th.