Windows 10's growth slows down

Reading time icon 2 min. read

Readers help support MSPoweruser. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Tooltip Icon

Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more


Windows 10’s growth has continued to slow down. According to a new report from NetMarketShare, Windows 10 only claims 22.59% of the market share as of October 2016. The OS saw a huge growth when the free upgrade offer was available to Windows 7 and 8.1 users – however, over the past couple of months, the growth is pretty slow for the OS as the free upgrade offer is no longer available.

In September, Windows 10 claimed 22.53% of the market which means the OS gained only 0.06% of market share in one month. What’s even more interesting is the fact that Windows 7 gained more market share in October than Windows 10. Windows 7 claimed 48.27% of the market in September, but the OS gained 0.11% of market share in October – which means the OS now has a total market share of 48.38%.


Windows 8.1, on the other hand, also gained a good amount of market share – 0.57%, to be exact. The OS had a market share of 7.83% in September, but I now claims 8.4% of the market. As expected, Windows XP has lost a good amount of market share in October but it sill claims 8.27% of the market which is quite worrying.

In case you are wondering, OS X 10.11 claims 2.74% of the market, Linux claims 2.18% and Windows 8 now claims 2.17% of the market.

What do you think of Windows 10’s growth? Let us know in the comment section below.

You can find the full report here.

More about the topics: market, market share, Net Market Share, share, windows 10, windows 7, windows 8, windows 8.1, windows xp