IllumiRoom is a Microsoft Research project that demonstrated how projection mapping can enhance entertainment. RoomAlive project showed us how any room can be turned into an interactive, augmented experience. In a Build session, Andy Wilson from Microsoft Research teaches the key concepts behind these projects including:
- Kinect and projector calibration,
- Networking multiple Kinect sensors together,
- Displaying dynamic AR objects in real-time.
Additionally, all tools and source code used in the session are now available on GitHub to enable you to make use of these techniques in your own projects. The RoomAlive Toolkit calibrates multiple projectors and cameras to enable immersive, dynamic projection mapping experiences such as RoomAlive. It also includes a simple projection mapping sample. Download it here.
More resources related to this,
- Channel9 pre-recorded talk introducing the RoomAlive Toolkit with Ben Lower and Andy Wilson
- video of 3 camera/3 projector calibration
- The resulting calibration set can be downloaded here. Try opening this in CalibrateEnsemble.exe.
- video of projection mapping sample, showing view dependent rendering of 3D object
- video of projection mapping sample, showing wobble effect
- RoomAlive video