As expected, Facebook today officially announced the Facebook News, a dedicated place for news on Facebook. Facebook News will give users more control over the stories they see, and it will offer most relevant national stories of the day in a single location. The news articles you already see on Facebook Feed will continue to appear. To design this new Facebook News section, Facebook had discussions with news organizations around the world about how they’d like to see their news articles included in a news tab, how their stories should be presented and what analytics to provide.
Facebook News features:
- Today’s Stories chosen by a team of journalists to catch you up on the news throughout the day
- Personalization based on the news you read, share and follow, so you can find new interests and topics and Facebook News is fresh and interesting every time you open it
- Topic sections to dive deeper into business, entertainment, health, science & tech, and sports
- Your Subscriptions, a section for people who have linked their paid news subscriptions to their Facebook account
- Controls to hide articles, topics and publishers you don’t want to see
During the initial phase, Facebook News will have local news for New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Philadelphia, Houston, Washington DC, Miami, Atlanta and Boston. In the coming months, Facebook will expand local news to more cities.
Facebook News is rolling out today to subset of people in the US.