Last month Microsoft released firmware for the Lumia 950 and 950 XL which enabled the long-awaited double tap to wake feature on them.
The rollout has been proceeding slowly around the world, but has not reached the white cliffs of UK yet.
Today we are however happy to report that while you can not yet get the firmware OTA, the UK CV version of firmware update 01078.00053.16236.35014 is now available on Microsoft servers to download using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
Note that this does involve wiping your device, so a back-up before to allow a restore afterwards is essential.
Including Double Tap to Wake this update brings:
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
- Support for double tap to wake enabled.
- Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
- Stability and reliability improvements.
- Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
- Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
- Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users
For those brave enough read more about the Windows Device Recovery Tool here, or else wait for the eventual OTA push which can’t be too far away.