Adam Isgreen, Creative Director at Microsoft Studios, has shed some light on the upcoming Age of Empires: Definitive Edition which is scheduled to launch on February 20th on Windows 10.
When we set out to create the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires, our goal was to deliver the best possible version of this classic, from a top notch audio-visual presentation to multiplayer to core game systems. Everything needed to be as good as you remembered it (or better!) to deliver a compelling RTS experience 20 years after its original release.
…and that took us a bit longer than we’d originally planned. But, it was important for the team to treat the Age of Empires franchise with the respect it deserves, so we took the time we needed to get features like attack-move and the improved minimap exactly right, and even added things like an in-game tech tree (how did we survive 1997 without that?) that we hope fans will love.
You can have a look at the trailer below.
Adam also shared some of the features and improvements in the game which will enhance the overall experience.
- Completely rebuilding assets for a modern 4K presentation
- Letting you play online with Xbox LIVE (in addition to LAN play)
- Re-recorded the original soundtrack with a new orchestral score
- Adding campaign narration for every mission
- Enhancing the campaign and scenario editor, which allows anyone to make original custom campaigns for the game, by letting players easily share them with other players around the world via AgeOfEmpires.com
Apart from this, Microsoft Studios is also opening up a free multiplayer beta starting January 29th to give players a taste of what’s about to come. If you’re interested in trying out the beta then you can head to AgeOfEmpires.com and sign-up. Until then you can head to the comments section and let us know your expectations from the game.
Via: Major Nelson