Microsoft last week announced that Xbox One users in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain will be able to experience premium live TV features on Xbox One, such as the ability to access your favorite shows and channels with the sound of your voice through the OneGuide, with the new Xbox One Digital TV Tuner. The new digital TV tuner will also support free-to-air DVB-T, DVB-T2 and DVB-C television standards. The most notable thing in this announcement is that this device is not coming to the US. Also, it may not be coming to the US anytime soon due to licensing restrictions by TV providers such as Comcast.
Microsoft provided the following statement regarding this issue,
The ability to stream TV content to mobile devices depends on a number of factors related to licensing. This feature is launching first in the UFIGS markets, where the Xbox Digital TV Tuner will receive free OTA television. We are looking at how we can bring this to additional markets in the future.
Xbox One Digital TV Tuner features:
- Watch HD TV on Xbox One: With the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you can watch free-to-air DVB-T, DVB-T2 and DVB-C television channels without changing TV inputs. You can receive game invitations and notifications while watching TV and even watch TV while you wait for a multiplayer match to start.
- TV Viewing in Snap Mode: You can watch TV using the Snap mode, watching TV on the side and leaving the main screen for games, Skype, or other applications.
- Pause Live TV: Pause your favorite show when you get up to take a break.
- TV Listings in the OneGuide: TV listings will be available in the OneGuide. From anywhere, say “Xbox show guide, what’s on BBC One?” to quickly navigate directly to that channel’s listings*.
- Favorite Channels in the OneGuide: Create your own personal Favorites in the OneGuide so you can easily choose what you want to watch.
- Channel Tuning by Voice: The OneGuide allows you to call out your favorite TV channel by name and start watching it instantly*.
- The OneGuide on Xbox SmartGlass: Now you have access to the full OneGuide on the new Xbox SmartGlass app with the ability to tune channels on your TV.
- TV On Demand: TV listings in the OneGuide will indicate which shows are available on demand from video apps.