Apart from the improved search algorithm and changes related to Store listings, Microsoft today also revealed that updated Windows Store includes updates to ratings and reviews that enable the store to show Windows and Windows Phone apps together and support more content types. The biggest improvement is the new filters feature that will allow customers to filter the reviews based on star ratings, most helpful, newest, highest-rated, and lowest-rated.
Changes to Ratings and Reviews:
- Migration of all the Ratings and Reviews. Ratings and reviews in the Windows 8 and Windows Phone Stores were migrated and will be visible to Windows 10. Ratings and reviews provided by customers using Windows 10 will not appear to customers using a previous OS.
- New Ratings and Reviews Algorithm. The Windows 10 Store uses new review sorting logic to improve the customer experience in a variety of ways:
- The most recent reviews with most ‘helpful’ votes are bubbled to the top of the list, ensuring comments on are relevant and useful for customers looking at your app.
- The profanity detection algorithm has been updated and improved. As customers change the way they use profanity in reviews, the algorithm will adapt and further refine the way it detects inappropriate language.
- New spam detection will detect and remove more spam before customers see it.
- Review filter: Customers will be able to search reviews in both the Store app and the web Store. Filters can be set for star ratings, most helpful, newest, highest-rated, and lowest-rated.
- Unified Ratings and Reviews for Linked Apps. The unified Dev Center dashboard treats linked Windows and Windows Phone apps as a single app with multiple packages. Ratings and reviews for any package in the linked app are applied to the app, regardless of whether the rating was provided on a Windows Phone app or a Windows 8.x app. In Windows 10, customers will see combined reviews and ratings for both apps in the new Store as well a unified star rating. Customers accessing the Store on earlier OS versions (e.g., Windows Phone 8.1) will not see the new combined rating. A device-specific filter is planned for a future update, enabling customers to see just reviews for their device type.
- Ratings and reviews submitted in Windows 10 previous to July 15 were deleted. Ratings and reviews submitted by customers using the preview versions of Windows 10 were removed from the Store on July 15, 2015. This action was taken to ensure an app’s rating and reviews are not based on customer experiences with preview versions of Windows 10. Instead, apps will only show Windows 10 ratings and reviews generated after July 15. Depending on the ratings your app received in the Store preview, you may see your average star rating change.
Read more about it here.