At MWC 2018 today, Sony finally unveiled their revamped design of their smartphones with the new Xperia XZ2 and Xperia XZ2 Compact. As you expect from a 2018 Android flagship device, this device is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor for delivering great performance and with X20 LTE to offer Gigabit LTE speeds.
The main highlight of both these devices are their new industrial design. They are encased with a fluid 3D glass surface that creates a seamless form that’s effortlessly comfortable in your hand. It is built with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and metal frame to add extra durability and a beautiful premium feel. Its four different finishes offer a beautiful reflection and shine from every angle. They will be available in Liquid Silver, Liquid Black, Deep Green and Ash Pink colors.
You might be thinking why would anyone buy this device instead of a Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 2 XL. To answer this question, Sony has included some unique features that no other mobile device in the market offers them. Read about them below.
- Xperia XZ2 has an extended 5.7” HDR Full HD+ 18:9 display so you can immerse yourself in your favourite movies and content in exceptional colour and contrast. Plus not only can you watch existing HDR content, using Sony’s BRAVIA TV technology, X-reality for mobile, it will up-convert content to near High Dynamic Range (HDR) so even when you’re streaming videos you get better quality playback that feels like a movie experience.
- XZ2 incorporates a new haptic experience, adding the perceptual sense of touch so you can feel your viewing experience. It uses Sony’s brand new Dynamic Vibration System which analyses audio data and lets you feel the action in your hands, bringing your movies, games and videos to life.
- High quality audio is also provided using Sony’s audio expertise with the truly authentic sound of Hi-Resolution Audio together with DSEE HX technology for upscaling.
- Motion Eye camera is pushed to the extreme and gets a ground-breaking upgrade with the world’s 1st 4K HDR Movie recording in a smartphone.
- Super slow motion video recording is also upgraded with 960fps now possible in Full HD to make your wow moments even more fascinating.
- For a truly unique and exciting way to capture memories 3D Creator application is now available with even greater flexibility for 3D scanning. Not only can you create 3D scans of objects or friend’s faces in less than a minute using the main camera, you can also now create 3D scans of yourself using the front camera – bringing to life your selfie in 3D and giving you endless opportunities in the 3D avatar world.
Other standard things included in this device include powerful front facing stereo speakers, IP65/IP68 rated water proofing, Qnovo Adaptive Charging technology which help the battery stay healthy to give you a longer battery lifespan, support for fast wireless charging and more.
Both Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact will be available globally from March 2018 running the latest Android 8.0 Oreo.