In May Microsoft released Office desktop app for Windows 10 S, but at the time they were only available for the Surface Laptop, which was not much of a problem as it was the only Windows 10 S PC available.
The OS is now however available to download as an ISO for educators to test, and several cheap laptops running the OS have now been released for the back to school season.
According to reports by WBI Microsoft has now made the Office desktop apps available to download by all Windows 10 S PCs and installations.
And, for a limited time, Microsoft is including 1 year of Office 365 Personal on Surface devices running Windows 10 S that ship during the preview period. With this subscription, customers can get 1TB of free storage on OneDrive, full access to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
The following apps will be part of Office in the Windows Store to customers with Surface devices running Windows 10 S:
- Outlook (not available in preview for Office 365 Education plans)
- Access (not available in preview for Office 365 Education plans)
- Publisher (not available in preview for Office 365 Education plans)
Office in the Windows Store does have a few differences from the regular Office desktop apps you download from Microsoft directly.
- You will only be able to install the 32-bit version of Office.
- You won’t be able to use COM add-ins.
- The OneNote app will be installed instead of the OneNote 2016 desktop version.
You can learn more about Office apps in Windows Store here.