A Smash player by the name of Elliot “Ally” Carroza-Oyarce has abruptly retired after confirming allegations that he was involved in a romantic relationship with another player, according to an article from Kotaku.
Carroza-Oyarce, known for ‘maining’ Snake in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, was considered one of the best Wii U players of all time. He ranked 5th in the Panda Global Rankings’ best Smash Bros. players.
On July 4th, Carroza-Oyarce, 28, admitted in a tweet that he was indeed previously romantically involved with Zack “CaptainZack” Lauth.
Sorry for the wait, I only got home yesterday night from CEO. Here are both my statements for everything that I had to address. I won't be active on Twitter and I'm retiring from Smash as of now. I'm extremely afraid but it has to be done. I'm really fucking sorry to everyone. pic.twitter.com/goxFbpRo3T
— Ally (@AllyUltimate) July 4, 2019
In the tweet, Carroza-Oyarce says “I didn’t do [Lauth] any wrongs but it was a stupid mistake regardless.” He also announces his retirement from Smash, citing that it feels “like it’s the right thing to do.”
As Kotaku report, discussion about Carroza-Oyarce and Lauth’s relationship first started back in March, when Tamim “Mistake” Omary, another Smash player, went to Twitter to claim that Carroza-Oyarce and Lauth had been in a relationship.
It’s not too clear when the relationship between the two took place. Kotaku say that Lauth would have been “at least” 16 years old, while Carroza-Oyarce would have been approximately 27.
In Lauth’s home state of Lousiana, the age of consent is 17. In Carroza-Oyarce’s home country of Canada, it’s 16. However, Lauth denied that the relationship was sexual in any way.
On June 29th, Lauth posted a tweet that contained an image of him holding a note that had a date, timestamp, and the written message “Tamim was telling the truth.”
He then shut down his Twitter account, although not before Reddit user u/xd1234321 took a screenshot and posted it on the site.
Lauth returned to Twitter on July 4th and, mere minutes after Carroza-Oyarce posted his statement, posted a tweet that claimed that the ‘situation’ had been ‘taken care of’ and that Lauth would like ‘EVERYONE [sic] to move forward’.
Hi guys im back <3. Thank you to everyone who reached out to me I love you all. Regarding that "situation", please don't bring it up to me! It's been taken care of, and I would like EVERYONE to move forward. Thank you!
— CaptainZack (@CaptainZack_) July 4, 2019
Two days later, the Super Smash Bros. Conduct Panel sent out a tweet saying that ‘a statement on the lifetime ban of Ally went out last night to signatory TOs’.
The ban would mean that Carroza-Oyarce would never be allowed to attend major events regarding the game ever again, even if he renounced his retirement.
A statement on the lifetime ban of Ally went out last night to signatory TOs.
If you are a TO reading this, you can request the panelist statements justifying the decision via our email, [email protected]
— SSBConductPanel (@SSBConductPanel) July 5, 2019
However, it doesn’t end there. In 2018, Carroza-Oyarce’s ex-girlfriend Ally posted a statement detailing Carroza-Oyarce’s acts of domestic abuse against her.
In Carroza-Oyarce’s tweet addressing the situation, he also addressed Ally’s statement, claiming that the two settled previously settled it in court and that “the judge told [him] not to speak to her again.”
We’ll be sure to update if the situation unfolds further.