Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
nreal, a young startup working on mixed reality technologies, today announced nreal light, its first mixed reality glasses. Unlike Microsoft HoloLens and Magic Leap One, nreal light resemble regular sunglasses and it weighs just 85 grams allowing consumers to wear it for hours at a time.
Just like Magic Leap, nreal has separated the compute system from the glasses. You need to carry a companion computing pack powered by the Snapdragon 845 Mobile VR Platform. According to nreal, despite its small form factor, light can offer accurate and realistic interactions between digital avatars and the real world using Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) algorithm and two onboard cameras.
nreal light will offer better Field of View of 52 degree when compared to Microsoft HoloLens’ 35 degree. It will also support spatial sound, voice commands and haptic-feedback controllers. nreal light will support interchangeable prescription lenses from the start. And you can charge the companion computing pack using standard USB-C port. You can also use the port for plug and play content from most USB-C compatible devices including laptops and desktops.
nreal light features:
- Lightweight Form Factor – The featherweight of its class, nreal light weighs in at just 85 grams, only slightly heavier than sunglasses and comfortable enough to be worn for hours
- Sleek Design – Ready-to-wear and meticulously designed, nreal light resembles sunglasses
- Vivid Optical Display – nreal light’s high-resolution proprietary display at 1080p with 52º FoV brings a wide-screen view that showcases vivid graphics
- Environmental Understanding – Designed with groundbreaking efficiency, nreal light uses just two cameras and sensors, which combined with SLAM (Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) algorithms track the environment to make virtual objects interact seamlessly with the real world, with minimal computing power wastage
- Cross Platform Compatibility – nreal’s external computing pack is powered by the Snapdragon 845 Mobile VR Platform, but also cross-platform compatible with most USB-C devices including laptops and desktops
- Integrated Spatial Sound and Voice Control – For a fully immersive experience, visuals are augmented by 360° spatial sound through dual speakers, while dual microphones offer control of your virtual environment through voice inputs
- Wireless Controller – With up to three degrees of freedom, nreal’s controllers offer haptic feedback with a responsiveness that’s intuitive to navigate a mixed reality
You can learn more about nreal light here.