Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
MSEdgeRedirect, the replacement for Edge Deflector, has been updated to version 0.6 with some great new features.
MSEdgeRedirect redirects Windows News, Search, Widgets, Weather and more to your default browser.
The tool filters and passes the command line arguments of Microsoft Edge processes into your default browser instead of hooking into the microsoft-edge: handler. This change was needed after Microsoft made it impossible to take over the microsoft-edge: protocol, leaving Edge Deflector non-functional. MSEdgeRedirect’s method should provide resiliency against future changes. Unlike Edge Deflector, however, it needs to run continuously in the background, but the app can be set to auto-run at launch.
The latest version lets you rewrite searched which would normally go to Bing or Bing Weather, meaning you can finally use the News and Interest taskbar widget without fear and even perform Google searches from Windows Search.
See the full changelog for version 0.6.0.0 below.
- Added Install Success screen
- Added Install Settings screen
- Improved Installer screen layouts
- Added ability to update dev builds
- Improved Default Browser detection
- Improved Service Mode Performance
- Improved Installer Admin Rights handling
- Fixed 32-bit version failing Edge location checks
- Fixed Tray Icon not hiding when selected in installer
- Added additional Security Safeguards for URI handling
- Fixed Update Checker not running due to inverted logic
- Added ability for installer to detect and show existing settings values when updating
- Added ability to redirect weather results to one of two available alternative providers
- Added ability to semi-automatically repair IFEO Exclusion issues caused by Edge Updates
The app still raises a security alert when installed, but seems to be relatively trouble-free so far.
Find it at GitHub here.