Microsoft today announced the release of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25929 to Canary Channel. This build includes several new features that were shipped as part of the last few Dev Channel Insider Preview builds. Read about some of them below.
In this new Windows 11 build, Microsoft has introduced the support to set HDR images as desktop backgrounds. You will be able to set JXR files as desktop background and if you have a Windows 11 compatible HDR display, the background will render in full HDR.
To try out this feature, please make sure you are running Windows 11 Preview Build 23516 or higher. Second, confirm that the display connected supports HDR. You can confirm this by going to Settings > System > Display and checking the HDR toggle. Once confirmed, download an HDR .JXR file to your Windows 11 PC. You can download sample .JXR files here.
Also in this Windows 11 build, Microsoft wants to educate people on screen casting, while also improving its discoverability and the overall experience of using it. Microsoft has released these improvements to the screen cast on Windows 11 experience:
- When doing multitasking activities on your PC such as often switching between windows to complete a task or using Snap Assist to organize your screen space, Windows 11 will provide the suggestion to Cast via a notification toast.
- Windows 11 will now provide inline setup of a PC from within the Cast flyout in Quick Settings, with step-by-step guidance for users to enable:
- Installation of the optional Wireless Display feature.
- Discoverability of the PC to other devices, via the “Projecting to this PC” Settings page.
This build also includes the following improvements to Windows 11 share window:
- Redesigned Windows share window to better match the Windows 11 design principles.
- Everyone will now be able to email their files through Outlook directly within the Windows share window. Just click on the Outlook icon under the “Share using” section of the Windows share window.
- The Windows share window now has a search box so you can now search for contacts across Outlook to share a file and the Windows share window will now display 8-10 suggested contacts to quickly share to – including emailing yourself a file.
- Instead of a dropdown, you will see a button to turn on nearby sharing.
- For nearby sharing, you will find your own PCs at the top of discovered devices under “Nearby Share”.
- Files will share faster from one PC to another using Wi-Fi Direct.
- Added “Share” to the context menu in File Explorer in addition to having the share icon at the top of the context menu.
Finally, the latest Snipping Tool app update brings new buttons to edit in Paint for screenshots and edit in Clipchamp for screen recordings.
You can read more about this Windows 11 build here.