At Ignite 2019, Microsoft announced an all-new Outlook for Mac experience with redesigned UI, improved performance and several new features. This new Outlook for Mac uses Microsoft sync technology that already powers Outlook for iOS and Android and Windows Mail app. The Microsoft sync technology offers faster and more reliable syncing experience, improved search results, reduced email load times, and enables Outlook for Mac team to bring more Office 365 features easily.
The major change in this new Outlook for Mac experience is the new toolbar on top. Microsoft has replaced the ribbon with a new customizable toolbar. Microsoft feels that this new toolbar helps reduce your visual clutter and helps you focus on what’s most important.
Other new features in the new Outlook for Mac:
- Customizable toolbar: Choose commands to display in the Toolbar. In the Toolbar, select the more icon More options , then Customize Toolbar… .
- Improved search: Search is now powered by Microsoft Search and has better results and suggestions. Click in the search field or use keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+F to search.
- My Day: View upcoming events in agenda or day view in the main window for mail. Select My Day in the View menu or use keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+] to turn My Day on or off.
- Improved RSVP to meetings: Respond to meeting invites with email responses to the organizer directly from the Reading Pane. Type a message in the text field in the meeting invite and select Accept, Tentative, Decline, or Propose New Time.
- More Office 365 Groups, including Calendars: View all your Office 365 Groups in Mail and Calendar view. In Mail, Groups are located under the Groups node for your account. In Calendar, Groups are located after calendar folders for your account.
- Nested compose in the Reading Pane: Reply to messages without opening a new compose window. Select Reply, Reply All, or Forward in the Reading Pane, Toolbar, or Message menu or use keyboard shortcuts Command+R, Shift+Command+R, or Command+J.
- Ignore Conversation: Delete all messages in a conversation, including messages already received and any new messages. Select Ignore Conversation in the Toolbar, Message menu, or message context menu, then confirm that you want to ignore the conversation.
- Improved event scheduling: Create events by selecting a time block in the calendar grid. Add event details, including attendees and locations, and view attendee availability directly in the popover before sending. When creating a new meeting, view attendee availability directly in the event window and adjust the time of the event by moving the event within the day view. For meetings with large numbers of attendees, use the Scheduling Assistant to view availability, add and remove attendees, and reserve resources (such as conference rooms).
It is important to note that this is a very early version of new Outlook experience and it misses several features that are available on existing Outlook for Mac. You can find the list of features that are missing below.
- Subfolder search
- Automatic replies
- Block sender
- Email templates
- Online archive
- Read and delivery receipts
- Set message sensitivity
- Unified Inbox
- Room Finder
- People search
Join Office Insider Fast to try this new Outlook for Mac experience. And it works only with Office 365, Outlook.com, and Google accounts. If you are using an old Exchange based email account, you should continue using the existing Outlook experience.