Looks like Microsoft might become a Mobile Virtual Network Operator(MVNO) soon. Microsoft has a new app called Cellular Data in Windows Store. This upcoming app will allow Windows users to stay connected everywhere, even when WiFi isn’t available.
The Cellular data app allows you to connect to a trusted nationwide mobile data network using only your Microsoft account. Connect with – and pay for – a mobile data plan on your Windows 10 device using only your Microsoft account information. That means no fixed contract and no long term commitments to a mobile network operator. Now you can buy and use mobile data at your own convenience. This is the easiest way to get online using a trusted nationwide network.
Users need to purchase a plan via Windows Store anywhere network coverage is available. This app works only with Windows 10 devices and requires a Microsoft SIM card. At start, Microsoft is planning to offer this service in some markets and offers are for domestic plans only – international roaming offers will be made available later.
- Get online anywhere regardless of Wi-Fi availability.
- Purchase cellular data when and where you need it – no fixed contracts.
- Experience a more secure network using cellular connectivity.
- Get in control of cost and data usage by checking your balance in real-time.
To purchase a data plan, you need to follow these steps:
- Click the WiFi icon at the far right of the taskbar
- In the list of networks, look for one called Cellular data, then select it
- In Mobile settings, select ‘View plans’, then follow the steps to buy mobile data and get online