Microsoft has released an update for the Xbox One. The update process works a little differently than on the Xbox 360.
A. If you are using the Xbox One “Instant On” your console automatically checks for updates when it you turn it off. Once the update is found the following will happen:
- The console will automatically download the update after it is turned off. Once the update has been downloaded in the background, the console will power completely down. Please note: It will be necessary to manually power the console back on after the update has been downloaded. Because the update will power your console completely down, the “Xbox On” voice command won’t be available until after the update is fully installed.
- When the console is turned on, the user will see the update being applied. After that, the Xbox One will reboot. The update is installing when the user sees the Xbox logo on the green background. This can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Once the update has finished installing, it will boot to the Home screen.
- The console check for updates even it has been inactive for multiple days
B. If the Xbox One “Instant On” feature is not being used, the user will be required to download and apply this update after Thursday, December 12th at 4:00 PM PT.
This update addresses the following:
- Addresses SmartGlass issues for some users when coming in and out of connected standby
- Addresses multiplayer issues for some users when re-joining games
- Addresses issues with inconsistent notifications for some users
- Addresses dashboard performance for some users
- Offers improvements for Xbox One’s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
- Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users
Source: Major Nelson