Microsoft today provided a closer at the upcoming Windows Defender app for Windows 10. The app, which Microsoft actually released for Windows Insiders back in December will essentially give users easy access to some of Windows Defender’s features. The app was previously known as “Windows Defender” but Microsoft is now renaming it to “Windows Defender Security Center” as the company will likely keep the classic Windows Defender until the new modern Windows 10 app gains feature parity. In a blog post, Microsoft listed some of the main features of the new Windows Defender Security Center:
- Virus & threat protection provides a new view of your antivirus protection whether it’s Windows Defender Antivirus that comes free with Windows 10 or AV software from one of our ecosystem partners. If you’ve chosen Windows Defender Antivirus, your scan results and threat history will be displayed here, or you will be able to launch your 3rd party AV protection app directly from this screen.
- Device performance & health provides a single view of your latest Windows updates, drivers, battery life and storage capacity. Additionally, you have the option to start fresh with a clean install of Windows using the Refresh Windows feature. This option will keep your personal files and some Windows settings, and remove most of your apps for a fresh start that can help with performance improvements should your device need them.
- Firewall & network protection provides information on the network connections and active Windows Firewall settings, as well as links to network troubleshooting information.
- App & browser control allows you to adjust settings for SmartScreen for apps and browsers helping you be more informed and stay safer online by warning you of potential malicious sites, downloads and unrecognized apps and files from the Internet.
- Family options gives you an easy way to connect to the family options available online. This page can link you to information about parental controls, options for setting up good screen time habits, setting up activity reports of your kids’ online activity and managing controls for purchasing apps and games. You can also view the health and safety of your family’s devices from this centralized location.
Redmond has also released a video to give a closer look at the new app, which you can watch below:
As we previously reported, the new Windows Defender Security Center will be available with the Windows 10 Creators Update which is a free update for existing Windows 10 users and it’s expected to be available this April.