Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Back in 2019, Microsoft first introduced Teams Live Events, an extension of Teams meetings that allowed anyone to schedule and produce events that stream to large online audiences. Teams Live Events attendees can watch the live or recorded event in Viva Engage or Teams. Teams Live Events are used in large organizations for conducting town hall meetings, annual events and more. Today, Microsoft announced that Teams Live Events platform will be retired by September 30, 2024. Until the retirement date, Teams Live Events for commercial customers will continue to be supported.
Key timeline regarding Teams Live Events:
- After September 30, 2024, Teams Live Events will no longer be supported, and access will be discontinued.
- Customers will not be able to schedule, start, or join any events on Teams Live Events after this date.
- Existing recordings will be available to access until December 31, 2024.
- If customers want to retain any recordings from prior events, they will need to download the recordings and upload them to a different location before December 31, 2024.
- Between now and September 2024, customers can continue to use Teams Live Events with no change in their existing experience.
For government customers, including GCC, GCC High, and DoD, Microsoft Teams Live Events will be available even after September 30,2024. Microsoft will reveal a retirement plan for government customers in the coming months.
Microsoft recommends enterprise customers to migrate to ‘Town hall,’ a new virtual event experience in Microsoft Teams. You can read about Teams Town hall here.