Microsoft today announced that Microsoft Intune is now part of the Android for Work program. They have started the roll out of Android for Work features. In their initial release of Android for Work support, they have included the following features,
- A broader set of management policies for Android devices; including the ability to manage a work profile on the device, set policies to enforce complex lockscreen PINs and define permission policies for Android apps you manage.
- Application install improvements; today, the user experience for deploying apps is different depending on whether the app is an internally developed LOB app, or if it’s in the Play store. Android for Work unifies this experience, making it consistent regardless of what kind of app you are deploying.
- Security improvements; including mandatory encryption and the ability to disable app installation from unknown sources.
- Email client app configuration; using managed configuration, any email app that supports enterprise configuration can be provisioned with Intune. Intune also provides IT Pro UI for configuring the Gmail and Nine Work applications.
- App configuration capabilities; developers will be able to expose managed configuration capabilities in their applications, opening up a pipeline for Intune to be able to configure these settings.
Microsoft will start a private preview of this new support in early September. If you’re interested, email Intune team at [email protected] for consideration. Microsoft will provide more details about this at their Ignite conference later this month.