*Updated with new extended gameplay trailer with characters Captain America and Morrigan
Capcom has announced that ‘Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite’ will be coming to Xbox One, PC, and PS4 sometime in late 2017. The game is the latest title in the ‘Marvel vs. Capcom’ series, the sequel to 2011’s ‘Marvel vs. Capcom 3’, which was available on last gen consoles Xbox 360 and PS3. Unlike previous games in the series, this title may forego the ever so popular X-men characters in favor of characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, such as super hero Captain Marvel, who’s set to get her own movie in 2019. However, this has yet to be confirmed.
The console announcement trailer pits Capcom’s Ryu and Mega Man against Marvel’s Iron Man and Captain Marvel, as the 4 trade blows and blasts back and forth, and we see Capcom’s heroes pursuing and using Marvel’s Infinity Stones, of which the game gets it name. Not much else has been mentioned in the way of other characters, but the game will no longer use its staple 3 vs. 3 formatting, instead going with a more simple 2 vs. 2 player system. The game will also feature a cinematic story mode which will put players in the middle of both universes, and was built with Unreal Engine 4, with should definitely be a major improvement upon previous titles in the series.
You can check out more game details below.
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite will feature a variety of exciting and accessible single player modes and rich multi-player content for new players and longtime fans alike.
In addition to single player Arcade, Training, and Mission modes, a visually stunning and immersive cinematic Story Mode will put players at the center of both universes as they battle for supremacy against powerful forces and a new villain.
- Reborn Rivalries: Universes collide once again in this all-new crossover clash for the ages, where players select their favorite Marvel and Capcom characters and engage in accessible and free-form 2v2 team battles, which allow for new gameplay dynamics never-before-seen in the franchise.
- Infinite Power: Choose one of the six powerful Infinity Stones from the Marvel Universe to influence the outcome of battle. Each Infinity Stone will customize characters with unique abilities and powerful game-changing effects that can quickly turn the tide of battle.
- Iconic Heroes: Select from a diverse roster of fan favorite characters pulled from the Marvel and Capcom Universes, including Captain Marvel and Iron Man from the Marvel side, and Ryu and Mega Man X from Capcom. Many more playable characters will be revealed in the future.
- Cinematic Story: Heroes and villains battle for supremacy in a timeless struggle set in the Marvel and Capcom universes. The original storyline answers the questions regarding the new clash and lets players step into the shoes of classic characters from both sides as they wage war against powerful forces in an attempt to defeat a new villain.
- Accessible Single Player Content: In addition to the cinematic story experience, players can hone their skills in a variety of accessible single player modes, including Training, Mission, and Arcade modes.
- Vast Multiplayer Features: Robust online modes and content including ranked and casual matches, global leaderboards, and online lobbies with spectator mode deepen the overall experience.
- Graphics: Unreal Engine 4 technology pushes the cinematic visuals and next-gen realism into a new era.
You can check out the announcement trailer for the 8th title in the series below.