Earlier this week, Opera released v50 release candidate build of their desktop web browser that includes an innovative anti-Bitcoin mining feature, improved VR support for Oculus and Chromecast, and more.
Cryptocurrency is currently a hot topic in the tech scene and it also turns out to be an easy way to make money. So some website owners are making use of the compute power of their readers for mining Bitcoin and others using cryptocurrency mining scripts. If you recently noticed your computer getting hotter, fans kicking in often, battery draining fast on laptops, there is a high chance that your computer is being used to mine for cryptocurrency. To avoid such illegal usage of compute power by website owners, Opera has built an integrated blocker that blocks cryptocurrency mining scripts that overuse your device’s computing ability.
You can find and change NoCoin in Settings > Basic > Block ads and under the Recommended lists of ad filters.
Find the full change log of this update below.
- DNA-65270 [WebUI] Support preference Disable Speed Dial Animations
- DNA-65853 Improve schema generation to avoid mistakes
- DNA-65865 Product stores insanely big stats and tries to push it to AU server
- DNA-65899 Support additional VPN locations for testing
- DNA-66035 Opera doesn’t link due to a problem with kSurfEasyDefaultLocationPlaceholder
- DNA-66066 Use new design for Rate Opera prompt
- DNA-66146 Modify rules generation script & load new list
- DNA-66191 Add License entry for NoCoin list
- DNA-66195 Extend & translate NoCoin list name
- DNA-66208 [Win] Optimal location wrongly shown as selected when upgrading to new VPN
- DNA-66228 No single target for LGPL binaries
- DNA-66250 Make the legal notice in Adblocker preferences dynamic
- DNA-66254 Report impressions of Rate Opera prompt and dialog
- DNA-66256 Add multi-tab-selection statistics to the schema
- DNA-66257 VPN ‘Select virtual location’ translations
- DNA-66265 Use short list description for Adblocker privacy notice
Download Opera beta for Windows here.