At IFA today, HP announced HP Elite Slice, a modular PC with support for snap-on modules. Its modular design features curves in matte black with polished copper accents. Customers can pick and choose a factory cover or stackable options to add functionality including the Collaboration Cover or Wireless Charging Cover, or stackable modules such as the Audio Module or ODD (Optical Disk Drive) Module according to their needs.
It measures just 6.5″ x 1.38″ x 6.5″ and weighs 2.31 lbs. Also, this is the first commercial desktop powered from a display via only one USB 3.1 Type-C cable with a Type-C compatible display including the optional new Quad HD HP EliteDisplay S240uj Monitor which is equipped with integrated wireless charging and USB Type-C.
Four different covers to choose from:
- HP Collaboration Cover: turns the desktop into a Microsoft Skype for Business phone for easy call management with capacitive touch keys.
- HP Wireless Charging Cover: wireless charging starts automatically upon contact to eliminate charging cables and ensure mobile phones and devices are powered, ready for use. The Wireless Charging Cover is expected to start shipping in the first half of 2017 and requires factory configuration.
- HP Audio Module: spoken word tuning makes virtual meetings and call experiences crisp and clear with audio tuned by Bang & Olufsen, 360 degree speaker design, dual-microphone array with range of five meters and HP Noise Cancellation software.
- HP ODD Module: for quick and easy back up or to archive files and access legacy content on CDs or DVDs.
Other features include:
- An optional touch fingerprint sensor for improved security and easy authentication.
- HP Sure Start with Dynamic Protection, the industry’s first self-healing BIOS-level protection.
- Up to 6th Generation Intel Core i7 35-watt processors for the performance to easily handle productivity and collaboration needs.
- Unique 360-degree dual fan pipe ring keeps the powerful device running cool.
- Peripheral support for enhanced productivity including one Ethernet port, built-in Wi-Fi module and antennas, one HDMI and one DisplayPort to power multiple displays.
HP Elite Slice starting price is $699 and is expected to be available in September 2016.
- HP Audio Module price is $109.
- HP ODD Module price is $99.
HP EliteDisplay S240uj Monitor starting price is $429 and is expected to be available in October 2016.