It seems the biggest threat to the stability of our PCs are Windows 10 OS updates, with the latest issue being new reports that the Windows 10 October 2018 update is causing PC users to lose sound output from their computer.
Users running into the “No Audio Output Device Is Installed” error find their PCs completely mute after upgrading to Microsoft’s latest version of Windows 10.
The issue appears to be the wrong audio driver being installed, with fortunately only a small number of users affected. Fortunately, the solution is relatively simple.
- Open Device Manager (Open the start menu, type Device Manager and press enter) and select System Devices (close to the end of the list).
- Locate Intel Smart Sound Technology driver (SST).
- Right-click and select Update Driver from the pop-up menu.
- Choose browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and select High Definition Audio.
- Click Next.
- Intel Smart Sound Technology (SST) driver will disappear and you should have Audio back.
Are any of our readers affected? Let us know if this fixed the issue for you?
Update: An official fix is available now.