Microsoft released Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.164 to devices that shipped with Windows 10, as well as Insiders on the Slow and Release Preview rings. As per usual, the latest cumulative update does not introduce any new features and it is mostly focused on improvement for the OS and bug fixes. Here’s the official changelog for build 10586.164:
- Improvements for the reliability of app notifications, including text messages and alarms not ringing as scheduled.
- Improvements for text message backup to reduce data and battery usage.
- Fixes for Microsoft Edge with address bar suggestions showing late or persisting during navigation, “Close all tabs” not closing all tabs, and Word Flow on the address bar not functioning as expected.
- Fix for a problem where the Microsoft account was not detected by the Outlook Mail, Outlook Calendar and People app. Attempting to add a new contact in this state caused the People app to crash for some users.
- Fix for a problem that caused the Wi-Fi connection to temporarily switch off after prolonged use for some users.
- Fix for a problem that caused first-party app updates to fail to install successfully for some users, leaving the apps in state where they cannot be launched.
- Improvements for battery usage, Bluetooth connectivity, and OS reliability.
Microsoft has made some nice improvements with the latest build — for example, app notifications should be a bit more reliable, especially for text messages and alarms. The company also fixed an issue which prevented some stock apps from failing to detect your Microsoft Account, which should improve the OS experience for users who were experiencing the issue.
If you own a device that shipped with Windows 10 Mobile such as the Lumia 950, Alcatel Fierce XL, Acer Jade Primo or the Lumia 650, you will be able to get the latest update by heading over to Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for updates. Of course, this is also available for other devices that are supported by the Windows Insider program, but you will have to be part of the Insider program and roll into the Slow or Release Preview ring.