There’s a really annoying issue in Office that’s been bugging a lot of users recently. The issue results in a command prompt window popping up every hour — it may not sound too annoying at first, but if you play a lot of games, it’ll surely annoy you. That’s because if you’re playing a game in full screen and this window pops up, the game will pause which is definitely going to be quite infuriating. Microsoft has already fixed the issue, and it’s currently available to those part of the Office Insider program’s Slow Ring. We believe the issue isn’t fixed for regular users as of yet, but it is possible Microsoft has already fixed the issue. If you’re, however, still having the issue, you can fix it by following the steps below:
- Search for “Task Scheduler” in Cortana/Search
- Right click on Task Scheduler in the search results and run as administrator
- Once the Task Scheduler opens up, click the chevron to expand the Task Scheduler Library
- Expand Microsoft, and then click on Office
- After that, you’ll see a task called “OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration” — simply right click and hit disable
That should fix the issue, preventing the background task from opening up a CMD window every hour.