Microsoft’s Groove Music team just published an update to the Windows store for Windows Insiders, and it brings a long-awaited feature – curated playlists.
Groove users on the web would have noticed that Microsoft often offered curated playlists to subscribers, updated once a week on the web and to coincide with major events. Now, with Your Groove, that experience makes it way down to Windows 10 PCs, mobile and the very lucky few hololens users.
Your Groove, as Microsoft details here, is a set of automatically generated playlists which are built based on what music you’ve added recently, what music you play the most, and the moods and beats they represent.
In essence, it is very similar to the late Mixradio, albeit it takes inspiration not only from the Groove Music catalog, but from your songs stored on OneDrive as well. It also automatically generates and suggests new music for you to listen to, reducing the friction of finding new music and more importantly, maximizing the value gained from having a Groove music subscription.
The other additions to the app are mostly bug fixes and improvements, but more about that below.
Here’s the full changelog:
- Introducing Your Groove, the place for music that is centered around you, what you like, and your listening habits. This is where you’ll not only find your recently played items, but also brand new automatically curated recommended playlists built just for your taste. They update often to always give you fresh recommendations, but you can save a copy any time to edit, download or just save to listen to later. For more information on this new feature, check out the post here.
- We also fixed a bunch of bugs:
- o Files opened in Groove from other applications (e.g. email) now continue playing in the background.
- o The app now skips queuing up unplayable tracks when playing album/artist so your now playing queue is clean and tidy.
- o We fixed the keyboard shortcut to support ESC to exit full screen now playing.
- o We addressed a performance issue when playing a large playlist.
- o We now attempt to recover from situations where playback appears “stuck”.
- o We added even more telemetry around playback as we continue to improve quality.
- o We made some changes to improve the playback reliability for Groove Music Pass content in offline scenarios.
Download Microsoft Groove from the store link for Windows 10 PCs, phones and Hololens