Well, well. For all the talk of Android powered netbooks, it was Windows CE running on the first NVidia Tegra device.
The Mobinnova Ã©lan is the first in line of ultra-portable computing devices powered by the NVIDIAÂ® Tegraâ„¢ Computer-on-a-Chip. The 2 lb. Ã©lan is like a netbook in that it’s small, has a keyboard, and offers easy access to the Internet. However that’s where the similarities end. The Ã©lan powers up instantly, connects directly to a 3G wireless network, offers hours of continuous use, full page web browsing, and delivers graphics performance never seen before on a mobile computing device–all packaged in Mobinnova’s stylishly thin design.
"This truly portable device is a pleasure to hold and to use. It offers 720p high-definition video playback, full Internet browsing and an impressive battery life," says KC Kuo, Chairman and CEO of Mobinnova. "We like to say it ‘runs on fun’. It’s a real game changer."
The size of a hardback book and weighing less than 2 lbs., the Mobinnova Ã©lan is compact, quiet and cool. "It’s the most powerful mobile Internet device you can easily pack in your purse, backpack or briefcase. You can use the Ã©lan for hours, even days between charges," says Mike Holland, Vice President of Business Development for Mobinnova. You can also use it anywhere–on a plane to Nepal, at a cafÃ© in Paris, on the sidelines of a soccer game, in a college dorm room, or sitting in bed. "The Ã©lan’s advanced power management means hours of viewing pictures, HD videos, Internet browsing, and reading and responding to email," says Holland.
The Mobinnova Ã©lan offers:
- 5-10 hours of continuous HD video playback on a single charge (dependent on screen usage).
- Up to 24 days of continuous audio playback on a single charge (if screen not in use while listening to audio).
- 8.9 inch screen size provides a rich viewing experience and full page web browsing.
- Ultra-light, compact design at 1.84 lbs (836g), 9.1 inches (232mm) x 7.3 inches (186 mm) x .8 inches (20.5 mm).
- NVIDIA Tegra-based platform that supports accelerated AdobeÂ® FlashÂ® animations and 720p high-definition video playback.
- Both Wi-Fi and 3G wireless connectivity, enabling you to check your email, social networking accounts, and do internet searches wherever you are.
- An innovative 3D graphical user interface.
- QWERTY keyboard and touchpad.
- Ability to view MicrosoftÂ® OfficeÂ® and AdobeÂ® documents.
- A webcam for sharing video.
- Fast, high resolution photo rendering, upload, and download.
- Fanless operation for a quite, cool experience.
- Advanced power management, allowing the Ã©lan to draw as little as 50mW during typical operation and 150mW during video playback, a fraction of most devices on the market today.
Also being shown at Computex is the Mobinnova T8, which combines the same powerful platform with a 10.1" touch screen, GPS, and HDMI and VGA video output. "Mobinnova has designed several interesting Tegra-based, mobile Internet devices that will surprise the market with their sleek, lightweight design and long battery life," said Mike Rayfield, General Manager Tegra Business at NVIDIA. "Tegra adds the secret sauce to deliver a desktop-like Internet experience and cell phone-like battery life in these new designs." "The Mobinnova Ã©lan and T8 answer the portable communications challenge," says Mobinnova’s Chairman and CEO, KC Kuo. "We are honored to partner with NVIDIA to create products that make people’s lives easier, more productive, and more enjoyable."