Epdetect is an accelerometer based mobile phone application that uses advanced signal processing to detect epileptic seizures. It runs on most mobile phones that support SMS messaging, movement detection and GPS position location.
The addition of the seizure detection signal processing enables the phone to function as a wearable seizure detection system, with remote signalling to carers. Epdetect monitors the wearers movements, distinguishing between normal movement and movement associated with a Tonicâ€“clonic seizure. If a seizure is detected, Epdetect will contact your carer with your status and GPS position.
Detector Active Screen:
- Status Message â€“ A â€œSeizure Detected â€“ press the clear button for 5 seconds to cancelâ€ message will be displayed.
- Audible Alarm â€“ An audible alarm will sound immediately upon detection of a seizure.
- Count Down Timer â€“ A countdown from 30 seconds will be displayed to enable the user to press the cancel button prior to sending the outgoing SMS alert. The countdown timer is adjustable from 1- 60 seconds.
- Clear Button â€“ A large â€˜clearâ€™ button graphic is displayed to allow the user to clear the detector active status, which also cancels any outgoing SMS alert. The â€˜clearâ€™ button must be pressed for 5 seconds within 30 seconds to prevent the outgoing SMS message.
- Status Message â€“ A â€œSeizure In Progress â€“ press the cancel button for 5 seconds to signal the end of a seizureâ€ message is displayed.
- Audible Alarm â€“ A second audible alarm will continue to play until the alarm active status is cleared.
- Cancel Button â€“ A large â€˜cancelâ€™ button graphic is displayed to allow the user to clear the alarm status, which also causes an end of seizure SMS message to be sent. The â€˜cancelâ€™ button must be pressed for 5 seconds to cancel the alarm active status.
- Additional Message â€“ A message saying â€œThis person may be having an epileptic fitâ€ will be displayed on screen.
Advanced Options Screen:
- Back-Up Accelerometer Data â€“ Tick box, which if ticked saves the raw accelerometer data that caused the last alarm condition to a file.
- GPS On/Off â€“ Tick box, which if ticked activates the phoneâ€™s GPS to generate location information, which is appended to SMS messages.
- Carer No 1 â€“ The mobile phone number of the first carer, this number will receive an SMS message if an alarm condition is active.
- Carer No 2 â€“ Optional, the mobile phone number of the second carer, this number will receive an SMS message if an alarm condition is active.
- Carer No 3 â€“ Optional, the mobile phone number of the third carer, this number will receive an SMS message if an alarm condition is active.
- Alarm Message â€“ The SMS message that will be sent when an alarm is active.
- Cancel Alarm Message â€“ The SMS message that will be sent when an alarm is cleared.
- Detector Active Sound â€“ Selects the warning sound to play when the detector is active.
- Alarm Active Sound â€“ Selects the sound to play when the alarm has not been cancelled (could be an audio file such as; â€œHelp this person is having an epileptic seizureâ€).
The software is freeware and can be downloaded here (cab, .Net CF 3.5 required), but the developer would appreciate donations to continue development.