Boxee is a cross-platform freeware home theatre PC (HTPC) program with a 10-foot user interface and social networking features designed for the living-room TV. Boxee is initially a fork of the free and open source XBMC media centre software which Boxee uses as an application framework for its GUI and media player core platform, together with some custom and proprietary additions.
Developers Aquasys are self-proclaimed huge fans of Boxee, and built a simple remote for Windows Mobile devices that allows users to operate basic program functions using a wireless connection (WiFi or cellular).
The app features:
- Navigation mode: up, down, left, right, select, back, home and exit
- Play mode: play, pause, stop, rewind, forward, previous, next, volume up, volume down, mute
- Input mode: allows text input into Boxee
- Media information: title, artist, season/episode, duration, summary, thumbnail etc.
- Hardware keys supported (up, down, left, right, select, vol up, vol down)
- Automatic pause on phone call
- Automatic discovery of the machine running Boxee (manual configuration is also possible)
How to use it:
- First step is to inform in program settings the address (IP or host name) of the machine where Boxee is running on. Alternatively use the "Discover" command and the remote will try to locate it (see note below).
- Press "Mode" to alternate between the three available ways to control Boxee: Navigation, Play or Input.
- Click thumbnail to obtain more information about the media currently playing.
Read more and download the software at Aquasys here.