EETimes has acquired a internal Samsung document which shows ARMâ€™s roadmap for the next few years, which includes ARM chips not just for smartphones but also netbooks.
The full roadmap include:
- Taurus, 1 GHz Cortex-A8 (single core)
- Mercury, 600 MHz Cortex-A5 (single core)
- Orion, 800 MHz Cortex-A9 (dual core)
- Pegasus, 1 GHz Cortex-A9 (single core)
- Hercules, 1 Ghz Cortex-A9 (dual core)
- Venus, 600 MHz Cortex-A5 (dual core)
- Draco, 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 (dual core)
- Aquila, 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 (quad core)
Its likely the Quad-core chips are destined more for netbooks and tablets running mobile OSâ€™s than your next smartphone. Hopefully Apple will not steal the company away and keep all the good stuff for itself.