Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Apple has open-sourced MLX, a new machine learning framework specifically designed for its Apple silicon chips. Developed by Apple’s machine learning research team, MLX streamlines the process of training and deploying models for researchers working on Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
Just in time for the holidays, we are releasing some new software today from Apple machine learning research.
MLX is an efficient machine learning framework specifically designed for Apple silicon (i.e. your laptop!)
— Awni Hannun (@awnihannun) December 5, 2023
MLX boasts several features that set it apart from existing frameworks:
- Familiar APIs: Python and C++ APIs have familiar frameworks like NumPy and PyTorch, making it easy for experienced researchers to learn.
- Effortless Efficiency: MLX uses composable function transformations to optimize Apple silicon performance.
- Lazy Computation: Arrays only materialize when needed, preventing unnecessary calculations and boosting resource efficiency.
- Dynamic by Design: Computation graphs adapt to input shape changes, simplifying debugging and experimentation.
- Multi-Device Powerhouse: MLX seamlessly leverages your Apple device’s CPU and GPU, ensuring you get the most out of your hardware.
- Unified Memory Advantage: MLX stores arrays in shared memory, unlike other frameworks, eliminating data movement between devices and further accelerating operations.
- Researcher-Friendly: MLX is designed for researchers with a clean and extensible codebase that encourages contributions.
Apple has demonstrated the impressive capabilities of MLX, showcasing its ability to enhance natural language processing through efficient Transformer model training. With LLaMA and LoRA, users can generate large amounts of text on their Apple devices.
Additionally, Stable Diffusion enables stunning image generation. At the same time, OpenAI’s Whisper technology provides accurate and efficient speech recognition directly on Apple devices.
With its focus on Apple silicon optimization and familiar APIs, MLX seems poised to become a go-to framework for researchers pushing the boundaries of machine learning on Apple devices.
More about it here.