The latest build of Windows 10 Mobile TP 10512 brings a nasty bug to its Project Astoria environment where apps are no longer able to activate the soft keyboard, taking much of the fun out of the side-loading party we have been having.
Fortunately the Android environment on Windows 10 Mobile is much more hackable than the OS itself, and the intrepid hackers on XDA-Developers have already found a fix which does not entail hard resetting your handset.
If you are already having the bug you are presumably side-loading Android apps already, and the instructions, by Alb3530, below should be familiar to you.
- First, download MicrosoftInputMethod.apk from this XDA-Developers thread here.
- Then navigate to the directory with adb (from the leaked Project Astoria files):
- type adb push “C:/<the path to >/MicrosoftInputMethod.apk” /sdcard/MicrosoftInputMethod.apk
- type adb shell
- type pm install /sdcard/MicrosoftInputMethod.apk
- Reboot the device after installation.
You should find your keyboard problems are solved.
Have our readers had success with this hack? Let us know below.