Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft has been working on improving search on Windows 10 since Redstone 4. The company has made changes to the UI but overall Windows Search still looks and feels the same. Recently, Microsoft separated Search from Cortana and started building search as search app.
However, it looks like the new search experience is almost ready but is hidden at the moment. The new experience will allow users to search within top apps, recent activities and will have better performance. You can enable the new immersive experience with some minor registry edits. Do note that registry edits can cause issues so proceed with caution.
- Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
- Click on Search folder and Right-click on the right pane and click on New>DWORD Value (32-Bit) with the name ImmersiveSearch.
- Double-click the DWORD and change its value data to 1.
- Now navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting\ and right-click the Flighting folder and click on New and name the key “Override”.
- Select the Override folder, right-click on the right pane and select New>DWORD (32-bit) and name it ImmersiveSearchFull and set its value to 1.
- Now create another DWORD (32-bit) and name it CenterScreenRoundedCornerRadius and set its value to 9.
Once done, restart File Explorer from the Task Manager and enjoy the new Immersive Search experience. Do note that you need to be on Windows 10 version 1903 to get the feature working on your device.
Via Windows Latest