Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
While Microsoft is quite busy readying the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update RTM, the company today released a new Redstone 4 build of Windows 10. Redmond today pushed out build 17004 to Windows Insiders in Skip Ahead with a new feature and some minor improvements. The build includes improvements for Microsoft Edge, along with some fixes from the recently released Redstone 3 builds.
In terms of the new feature, Microsoft is adding Fluent Design’s Reveal effect to the All Apps list in the Start Menu. The Reveal Effect, for those unfamiliar, will effectively “light” up the item your mouse is hovering over. It’s pretty neat.
Here’s the full changelog for build 17004:
Fluent Design: As we progress into the next feature update, you’ll begin to see more and more elements of Fluent Design light up. We love the enthusiasm we’ve seen for Fluent Design, and with today’s build you’ll notice that Reveal is now visible on Start in All apps.
Microsoft Edge Improvements:
- We fixed an issue where typing a web address into the address bar from the New Tab and Start Page and would sometimes clear the text and not result in any page navigation
- We fixed an issue resulting in keyboard layout changes potentially not being applied when using Microsoft Edge after setting focus to the address bar.
- We fixed an issue where the tab previews for PDFs were black with a white bar on each side.
- We fixed an issue where the first time you pressed Ctrl + F to open Search, the search box doesn’t get focus. We also fixed an issue where you might be unable to type in the address bar after clicking on CTRL+F text field.
- We fixed an issue where “Open with previous pages” wouldn’t recover tabs after dragging a tab between two Microsoft Edge windows.
- We fixed an issue resulting copy/paste and the print dialog not working for those using the updated Youtube.com website design.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl + Click on a link in a PDF wouldn’t open the link in a new tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in PDFs potentially rendering blank after panning down a few pages and back up.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where Alt + D wouldn’t bring input focus to the address bar when certain keyboards were active.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the enter key not working properly in Facebook Messenger.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Delete key on the full touch keyboard layout unexpectedly inserting a period in UWP apps.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a stutter when selecting long strings in certain single line editable text boxes (for example when naming favorites in Microsoft Edge).
Other fixes and improvements:
- RS4 builds include many of the same fixes included in the latest RS3 builds.
- We are introducing a new color wheel to Color & High Contrast Settings to help you get a feel for the effect of each of the different available color filters.
- You may see a Microsoft Edge shortcut on your desktop after upgrading to this build. You can delete the shortcut, upgrade from this build and it will not return.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Mod Organizer no longer load mods into Skyrim in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the last flighted build sometimes green screening with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in win32kfull.sys.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the WIN+X menu sometimes unexpectedly missing the accelerator key underline hints.