Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
As Microsoft is about to revamp its Outlook.com web-app to a new, more modern design, it may be time to learn about one of the more basic–yet useful –features the firm offers for keyboard warriors.
As anyone who uses keyboard shortcuts often knows, email web-apps often offer their own unique set of keyboard shortcuts, Microsoft Outlook differs from Google Mail differs from Yahoo! Mail etc. With Outlook.com, you can change the default keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft’s Outlook Web app to Google’s Gmail ones or Yahoo!’s Mail app shortcuts. This is certainly convenient for users who use multiple web-apps a day and don’t want to relearn new keyboard shortcuts or even those who make use of multiple web-clients.
Here’s how to manage your keyboard shortcuts in Outlook.com
In the current Outlook.com
- Tap the gear icon at the top right of the main page and select”Options” from the drop-down.
- Under “General”, navigate to “Keyboard Shortcuts”
- You will now be able to choose between Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and Outlook’s keyboard shortcut set. Choose wisely.
In the new Outlook.com (currently in Beta)
- Select the gear icon on the upper right.
- At the bottom of the “Quick Settings Pane”, tap or click “view full settings”
- Under General, navigate to “Configuration”.
- As in the previous section, you can now select which keyboard shortcuts to use.
Microsoft’s Outlook web-app is rather good and it’ll only get better as time goes on. You can learn more about the built-in and recommended Outlook web-app keyboard shortcuts, and what they offer you here.