Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
After much delay, Samsung has finally confirmed a new launch date for its Samsung Galaxy Fold folding smartphone.
The device was plagued with issues related to the flexible screen, including objects making its way under the screen and an easily removable screen protector which then disabled the device.
Samsung has announced the following improvements to the design:
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience:
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
The launch delay has also allowed Samsung to improve the overall Galaxy Fold user experience, including optimizing more apps and services for its unique foldable user experience.
Reports have been that extensive testing has shown that the fixes have been successful, and Samsung says after conducting final product tests it plans to make Galaxy Fold available to consumers starting from September in select markets.
Samsung will release exact availability details closer to the launch.
Samsung says they appreciate the support and patience they’ve received from Galaxy fans all over the world. It remains to be seen if enough of these fans remain to make the $1980 handset a success.