There have been over hundred different Windows Phones officially announced till date. Windows Phone was launched in October 2010 and devices by LG, Samsung and HTC were shown off at the launch event. Since then a number of OEMs have joined in (and left) and the statistics of the various phones launched over time gives us interesting things to look at:
- There have been 104 Windows Phones as of January 13th 2015. 10 (9.6%) originally ran Windows Phone 7.0, 17 (16.3%) were Windows Phone 7.5 handsets while only one (Nokia Lumia 505) shipped with 7.8 (1%). 24(23.1%) ran 8.0. A whopping 52 (50%) handsets launched with Windows Phone 8.1, indicating that Microsoft’s strategy to make the OS free has been a success as far as device launch numbers are concerned.
- Nokia (not including Microsoft Lumia 535) has been the leading OEM with 26 different phones. HTC, Samsung, Alcatel and Q-Mobile, follow with 12, 10, 5 and 5 devices respectively.
- No OEM has made devices with all major WP versions. If 7.8 is ignored HTC gets the credit. Nokia did not make phones with the initial version of the OS while Samsung has not made an 8.1 device yet. Alcatel is the only other OEM which made phones using two different versions (7.5 and 8.1).
- Nokia Lumia 510, 610 and 505 shipped with an 800Mhz single core processor while Samsung Ativ SE and HTC One(M8) have a quad-core processor clocked at 2.3GHz.
- Hisense NaNa comes with a 2mp rear camera while Nokia Lumia 1020 has a 41mp shooter.
- Numerous phones have shipped without a front camera. Microsoft Lumia 535, Nokia Lumia 730, Yezz Monaco 47, Yezz Billy 4.7 and HTC One(M8) have 5mp front cameras. The last phone has a bizarre combination of a 4mp rear camera and 5mp front camera.
- Nokia Lumia 1520, 1320 and Q-smart Storm W610 have 6 inch displays. LG Quantum had a 3.5″ display.
- Nokia Lumia 510,610,505 and ZTE Orbit (a.k.a Render) shipped with 256MB RAM while Nokia Lumia Icon, 930,1520, HTC One(M8) and Samsung Ativ SE have 2GB RAM.
- Alcatel OneTouch View, Nokia Lumia 510,505,ZTE Orbit and ZTE Tania all had only 4GB internal memory versions with no expansion. Fujistu Toshiba IS12T, Samsung Ativ S, SE, Nokia Lumia 1520, Icon, 1020, 930 and HTC One(M8) have 32 gigabytes of internal memory each.
- Fujitsu Toshiba IS12T is the only Windows Phone that is water proof.
- HTC Arrive (a.k.a 7 Pro) and LG Quantum (a.k.a Optimus 7Q) had horizontal slider keyboards while Dell Venue Pro had a vertical slider keyboard.
- Nokia Lumia 520 is the highest selling Windows Phone of all time. As to which phone sold the least, that is for the reader to guess!
To see the complete list of Windows Phones shipped till date, follow the links here.