Microsoft has just released a new update for the weekly Dev build of the new Chromium-powered Edge browser, taking it to Build 126.96.36.199.
The release chiefly contains changes from Chromium 76, but also contains a raft of fixes and improvements including:
Improvements and new functionality
- Spellcheck is now enabled by default for everyone.
- Downloads, Extensions, Favorites, History, and Settings all have refreshed colours and layout.
- Read Aloud will now select one of the new cloud-powered voices by default.
- The logic for quick links on the New Tab Page has been updated. Any site you add manually or edit will remain in the list unless you delete it, while other sites will continue to update based on your browsing history.
- Added support for Dolby AC3/E-AC3 audio decoding for some media playback sources.
- You can now sort favourites by name from the manage favourites page by right-clicking on the page background and choosing “Sort by name”.
- Favourites in the favourites bar can now be reordered using ALT+SHIFT+LEFT/ALT+SHIFT+RIGHT.
- When viewing history, you can now filter by time range and then search within the filtered results.
- While viewing history, CTRL+A will now select all items in the current list.
- The “Add a profile” flyout now uses dark colours in dark theme.
- The default profile icon now has a grey background instead of a white background in dark theme.
- Tooltip improvements for tabs: new tooltip for tab close button, keyboard shortcuts added to tooltips, and special tooltip notes when a tab is in an error state.
- The title of an InPrivate window now contains “[InPrivate]”.
- The escape key now cancels profile creation.
- When the window width is small, the “Profiles” and “Appearance” items in the Settings nav bar no longer overlap.
- Installed sites now show the “Customize and control” menu button in the title bar.
- Fixed a case where a page would scroll the wrong amount when using the keyboard to scroll in high DPI modes.
- The first item in a context menu is no longer showing a hover effect when the menu is opened.
- Fixed a bug which could cause updates to stop if you upgrade to the next Windows 10 release.
- We fixed some problems with keyboard navigation through the toolbar and favourites.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix sometimes temporarily stopped playing video after seeking.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would stop reading if it encountered certain characters.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the list of pages in “On startup” settings to render incompletely.
- When creating or editing a profile, the profile icon choices now appear in two tidy rows as expected.
- Removed an extra vertical separator that was incorrectly appearing between an active tab and its neighbour tabs.
- Fixed an intermittent crash in the send feedback dialog.
- Site permissions for USB devices are now shown properly in Settings.
- When a web page is using your microphone, a microphone icon now shows instead of a camera icon.
- Fixed some dark text on dark background in the profile flyout in dark mode.
- In dark theme, disabled toolbar buttons are now much easier to see.
Users in the weekly Dev channel can update their browser by visiting the About Edge page in the Browser Settings.