New reports reveal a number of new details about the rumored Surface Mini:
- No built in Kickstand
- An accessory cover will work as a kickstand
- Likely to be available in Silver, similar to the Surface 2
- ARM based device (Windows RT)
- Ships in June
- 7.5-inch device
- 1440 x 1080 display
- 4:3 aspect ratio similar to iPad (unlike 16:9 Surface & Surface Pro)
- Active Pen support (similar to Surface Pro)
- Ships by end of June
From earlier reports it is likely that the Surface Mini is based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, differing from the Surface 2 which is based on the NVIDIA Tegra processor. It is likely other specifications will match with the Surface 2 and the Surface Mini will come in 32GB/64GB variants and with 2GB RAM. It is unlikely the first version of the Surface Mini will have LTE support at launch, and it will likely come in the future.
There is no information on price, but if we look historically at Microsoft’s Surface strategy they have matched Apple’s pricing. The iPad Mini w/ Retina Display starts at $399. My guess is that the Redmond software giant will undercut the iPad by $50, and the starting price of the Surface Mini will be $350.
Do not hold out hope for an Intel/Atom based device.