If you are not lucky enough to try Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones today, don’t worry much. You are not missing much as Microsoft has included very few new features in the build. The following are the new features currently available in the build released today.
- Full-size Background Image for Start: We believe phones should be intensely personal – so we’ve added another option to customize the start screen with a full-size background image.
- More Quick Actions in Action Center: We’ve increased the number of quick actions available to you. Windows Phone 8.1 has four programmable quick actions – but with Windows 10 you also get an expanded view that can now have up to three rows.
- Interactive Notifications: Notifications are now interactive, allowing you to take action directly like dismissing an alarm, or seeing images for maps. For example, for text messages, when the toast pops, you can quickly reply inline via text or voice.
- Significantly enhanced speech-to-text capability: You can talk to virtually any data field you choose. Your words show up as you speak them – and punctuation appears automatically. This feature is smart enough to understand when to use ‘two’ – the number — instead of ‘too’ as in ‘also’.
- More powerful Photos app: From your very first launch, Photos will show the aggregated set of all your local photos and all your OneDrive photos
Even if you want to enjoy these very few features, you need to know the list of missing features which were already there and a long list of known issue. Read it here. Microsoft confirmed that other new features such as new Office universal apps for Word, Excel and PowerPoint, new Mail and Calendar Universal Apps, IP-based messaging from Skype and others are coming in the future builds.
Find the video demo of Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones here.