Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft introduced the new maps experience for Windows 10 devices a few months ago, shortly after the departure of Here maps from the Windows ecosystem. While users of Microsoft’s Insider preview for the Anniversary Update and Insiders on the Release Preview ring were able to access the new app, non-insiders were to make do with the old maps app.
Now, with today’s update to Windows maps, everyone on Windows 10 can now use the Windows maps app on their Windows 10 PC, tablet or phone.
Here’s what Microsoft’s added:
- You can now minimize search results, directions, and location info to enjoy more of the map, while keeping them in easy reach.
- We added search to 3D cities so you no longer have to scroll to find the city you’re looking for.
- Your favorites are now available offline so you can truly enjoy your offline maps and take advantage of all the places you have saved. You can also add notes to your favorites to keep track of things you want to remember about that place.
- When Cortana is enabled, you will receive turn-by-turn directions in Cortana’s voice, currently supported for English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Simplified Chinese (China), French (France), Italian (Italy), German (Germany) and Spanish (Spain).
- We’ve made it easier for you to follow your public transit route and know when it’s time to get off the bus with updated turn-by-turn instructions.
- And finally, based on the greatest amount of user feedback we’ve made improvements to the UI of turn-by-turn instructions to improve glanceability and the layout in landscape mode.
You can download the new Maps app by checking for updates or directly from the store link below.
[appbox windowsstore 9wzdncrdtbvb]