Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft today announced the release of Windows 11 Preview Build 23545 to Dev Channel Insiders. Microsoft also released ISOs for Windows 11 Preview Build 23545. This is a minor update that brings a couple of improvements to native file sharing experience on Windows 11.
First, Microsoft is rolling out the ability to quickly give your device a more friendly name to identify sharing to and from with nearby share. You can set your preferred name for your Windows 11 PC under Settings > System > Nearby sharing.
Second, Microsoft is rolling out the ability to see Microsoft Teams (work or school) contacts and to send files to them directly within the built-in Windows share window. This experience will be available only when you have signed in with an Entra ID (Azure Active Directory) account.
In this new Windows 11 Insider build, Microsoft is also testing out some different experiences for when you click on the search highlight gleam in the search box instead.
Apart from the above, this build includes several File Explorer fixes, you can find the details below.
- Fixed an issue which could cause explorer.exe to crash when closing File Explorer.
- Fixed an issue where when switching between dark and light mode (or a contrast theme) File Explorer’s address bar, command bar, and context menu could get stuck in the wrong colors, making it difficult to see.
- Fixed an issue where if you launched File Explorer in dark theme you could see a bright white flash as content loaded.
- Fixed an issue where rapidly opening two File Explorer windows might make explorer.exe crash.
- Made a few more fixes to help improve File Explorer launch performance, including fixing a leak which would impact performance over time.
- Fixed an issue which could make explorer.exe crash when navigating away from Home.
- Fixed an issue where trying to open Gallery after new images had been added might result in a crash.
- Fixed an issue where the progress wheel in the tab would get stuck showing that File Explorer was loading a folder when the loading had actually already finished.
- Fixed an issue where File Explorer sorting changes wouldn’t persist in folders after you navigated away and back.
- Fixed an issue which could cause the icons in File Explorer tabs to be incorrect.
- Fixed an issue which was causing icons on the desktop to turn into white generic icons until you refreshed the desktop.
You can read the full change log for this build here.