Microsoft has shed light on the new MSIX packaging solution that the company has been working on. The new packaging solution was first announced by Microsoft back in March 2018.
The MSIX packaging solution is supposed to replace the current solutions which include MSI, App-V, and so on. At Ignite Microsoft discussed how MSIX will replace all the other solutions and why it’s beneficial. You can head below to check out the list of benefits of choosing MSIX packaging. Do note that the package will be supported beginning with the Windows 10 October 2018 Update. Microsoft has also confirmed legacy support for Windows, like Windows 7 and 8.1.
- MSIX is a whole packaging solution and if you change the filename to a ZIP file, you can see everything that’s inside of it.
- Developers will soon have the option to force users to update the app before using it.
- The new MSIX installer will support all type of Windows applications including Win32, WPF, WinForm and UWP. Hence, compatibility won’t be an issue for developers working with MSIX packages.
- Microsoft also plans to release updates every three months and since MSIX is independent, it won’t require a system-wide update.
- Microsoft is also providing Conversion as a service for those who want to convert apps. For those developers, Microsoft itself will manage the app conversion.
MSIX packaging tool is currently available in preview on the Microsoft Store for free. You can check it out and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
[appbox windowsstore 9n5lw3jbcxkf]