Microsoft today detailed the new features that are coming to Windows 8.1 Photos and Camera apps. Both these apps together allows you to go from capturing images to making edits to sharing within a matter of moments. There are two interesting new features. First is the dual capture feature which can find in modern smartphones, you can take a photo while a video is recording. Second, the new Photo Loop feature which allows you to capture a series of pictures one second before and one second after you press the shutter button, allowing you to always select the best picture from a series of rapid shots.
Read the full list of features below.
- Easy Controls: With the built-in Camera app, you have easy-to-use controls to help you capture photos and videos. You can even quickly access the camera from the lock screen.
- Video and Photo – yes, at the same time: No need to decide about taking a video or a picture. A new feature of the Camera app allows you to record a video, then tap anywhere on the screen to take a picture without stopping the recording!
- Editing in seconds: The updated Camera and Photos apps have great photo editing capabilities. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or first time photographer, you can auto-fix or tweak your photos in a matter of seconds. The controls are along the sides – so if you are on your tablet, you can quickly take the picture and do all the editing with thumb controls. And they work great with a mouse and keyboard too.
- Capturing the world around you: The panorama feature in the Camera app is based on the popular Photosynth technology, this allows you to capture and automatically stitch panorama photographs of the world around you. Check out this video of the panorama feature.
- Never miss a moment: And, one of the most exciting parts of the new Camera app with Windows 8.1 devices is photo loop. If you’ve ever experience missing the perfect shot, photo loop allows you to capture a series of pictures one second before and one second after you press the shutter button, allowing you to always select the best picture from a series of rapid shots.
- Your photos, always with you: Photos taken with the camera are automatically synced to SkyDrive, so you can feel confident that you always have your photos with you.
Photos now allows you to do light editing as well. Watch the video above to see it in action.