While highlighting the new set of Windows 10 PCs that were announced at Computex, Microsoft revealed its vision for a modern OS. Microsoft feels that future devices with advanced silicon will require a modern OS that will offer a set of platform features customers expect from their devices, and also offer a set of features that deliver innovative people centric experiences.
Microsoft’s vision for a modern OS should have the following characteristics:
- Seamless updates: With a modern OS updates are invisibly done in the background; the update experience is deterministic, reliable, and instant with no interruptions!
- Secure by default: The state is separated from the operating system; compute is separated from applications; this protects the user from malicious attacks throughout the device lifecycle.
- Always connected: With a modern OS Wifi, LTE 5G will just work – and users never have to worry about a deadspot. All of a users devices are aware and connected to each other.
- Sustained performance: From the moment a user picks up their device – everything is ready to go – without having to worry about the next time the PC needs to be charged. These enablers will satisfy customer’s basic needs, but to truly differentiate we must also delight them.
- Cloud-connected: Experiences that use the compute power of the cloud to enhance users experiences on their devices.? These experiences are powered by AI, so a modern OS is aware of what a user is doing tomorrow and helps them get it done, and it enhances applications making them more intelligent.
- Multi-sense: People can use pen, voice, touch, even gaze – what ever input method a user wants to use works just as well as the keyboard and mouse.
- Form factor agility: A modern OS has the right sensor support and posture awareness to enable the breadth of innovative form factors and applications that our partner ecosystem will deliver
Microsoft mentioned that it is investing to realize the above modern OS vision. Microsoft also highlighted some of the latest features in Windows 10 that are delivered based on this vision. Asian Inking platform, automatic photo tagging feature in Photos app and new Your Phone capabilities that let users mirror their Android phone screen on their PC are some of the examples.
It is not clear whether these features will be delivered to Windows 10 as a update in the coming years or Microsoft will reveal a brand new OS that will have all these capabilities. This modern OS could be Windows Lite, a real competitor to Google’s Chrome OS.