Microsoft has rolled out a November update to PCs and phones running the Windows 10 Creators Update and the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. The main knowledge base article for this is KB4048954, which contains a list of the changes.
As its just a cumulative update, no new features are expected, yet they are a slew of bug fixes and refinements to the existing OS.
Here’s what’s new:
- Addressed issue where applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is: “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)”.
- Addressed issue where the RDP Connection from a Windows 10 1703 client to Windows Server 2008 R2 fails with the error: “An internal error occurred”. This problem occurs when the server is configured in RemoteFX mode. You may also see a black or incorrectly painted screen.
- Addressed issue where, after an OS upgrade, setting an offline schedule in the Sync Center applet of Control Panel fails. The error message that appears is: “Sync Center Error. An error occurred displaying sync schedules. Error: 0x80070005. Access Denied.”
- Addressed issue where RemoteApp and Desktop Connection settings fail to apply when you set them using Group Policy or a script.
- Addressed issue where the virtual smart card doesn’t assess the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) vulnerability correctly.
- Addressed issue where opening Microsoft Office files from a file server that has Windows Information Protection enabled fails with the error: “Sorry we couldn’t open document xxxx”.
- Addressed issue where, when using the FDVDenyWriteAccess policy, Windows will continue to prevent a drive from being made writable even after BitLocker encryption completes.
- Addressed issue where Surface Hub devices cannot connect to Azure Active Directory to log on when they are behind a proxy server.
- Addressed issue where attempting to clean temporary files on the Windows Phone results in the error code “E_FAIL”.
- Addressed issue where the functional keys stop working on Microsoft Designer Keyboards.
- Addressed issue where GetWindowLong may fail when called on a window whose thread isn’t processing Windows messages.
- Addressed issue where, after installing KB4038788 and rebooting, a black screen appears with only a cursor, and you must reboot in order to log in successfully.
- Addressed issue in Internet Explorer where an intranet site was being treated as an internet site.
- Addressed a memory leak in Microsoft Edge caused by the startup of an internal process.
- Addressed issue with the launch of HTML dialogs in Windows PE systems.
- Addressed issue with scrolling that sometimes causes Microsoft Edge to stop responding.
- Addressed a crash in Internet Explorer that was seen in machines that used large font-size settings.
- Addressed issue where the PDF download progress bar stops when opening a PDF file from a cloud-backed web services site.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Windows kernel, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Microsoft Graphics Component, the Microsoft Windows Search Component, and Windows Media Player.