The WC reports that Microsoft appears to have closed up to 17 smaller retail Microsoft Stores in malls around USA.
The so-called “Speciality Stores” were kiosks rather than full-sized Microsoft Stores, and the WC reports that full-sized Stores appear unaffected, with only 1 having closed in recent years. Microsoft had 34 Speciality Stores in 2013 and at present appears to have none now.
The Stores which were delisted were:
- Brea, Brea Mall, CA
- Glendale, Glendale Galleria, CA
- Roseville, Westfield Galleria at Roseville, CA (2017)
- Broomfield, FlatIron Crossing, CO
- Denver, Cherry Creek Mall, CO
- Des Moines, Jordan Creek Town Ctr, IA
- Chicago, Shops at North Bridge, IL (2017)
- Lexington, Fayette Mall, KY
- Louisville, Oxmoor Center, KY
- South Portland, The Maine Mall, MA
- Columbia, The Mall in Columbia, MD
- New York, Time Warner Center – The Shops at Columbus Circle, NY (2017)
- Portland, Washington Square, OR
- Pittsburgh, Ross Park Mall, PA
- Providence, Providence Place, RI (2017)
- Knoxville, West Town Mall, TN
- San Antonio, North Star Mall, TX
- Murray, Fashion Place Mall, UT
- Lynnwood, Alderwood, WA
- Seattle, Pacific Place, WA (2017)
- Seattle, Westfield Southcenter, WA
- Wauwatosa, Mayfair, WI
Their absence does leave some US states without a retail Microsoft presence, but then most sales and support is online in any case these days.
Microsoft still has more than 80 full-sized Microsoft Stores in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Australia and are planning to open another in the UK on the 11th July 2019.
Update: Microsoft has now released s statement (via Mary Jo Foley), saying:
“After careful discussion and evaluation, we’ve made the decision to close our specialty store locations. We are focused on delivering great experiences throughout the customer journey. We will continue to connect with and empower our customers to achieve more and discover all that’s possible with Microsoft through Microsoft Store across the globe online and in our physical stores in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia, and coming soon to the U.K. We look forward to continuing to showcase a robust lineup of products and services at our full line and flagship stores, providing the space and support for us to deliver experiences that our customers are excited about.”