Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help MSPoweruser effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Microsoft today announced the release of v88.0.705.9 build for Edge Dev channel users. This new Edge Dev channel build comes with the ability to generate new passwords, ability to copy and edit passwords stored in the browser, and more. This build also comes with several bug fixes. Find the full change log of Edge Dev Channel build below.
- Improved the History menu to be able to have an icon next to the address bar, to show all the tabs available in recently closed windows, and to be pinnable as a side pane like the recently improved Favorites menu. For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/improvements-to-history-in-microsoft-edge/td-p/18965….
- Added the ability for Edge to generate new passwords.
- Added the ability to copy and edit passwords stored in the browser.
- Add price comparison capabilities to the coupons flyout.
- Added Picture in Picture support on Mac OS. Support on other devices coming later.
- Finished rolling out the search Sidebar.
- Enabled the creation of text notes in PDFs on non-Windows platforms.
- Added a new management policy to Allow Vertical Tabs. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet.
- Improved the layout of the Cookies and Site Permissions Settings.
- Added a management policy on Mac OS to Override the Update Policy normally used on that OS. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet.
- Enabled support for the management policies to Allow Legacy TLS Protocols in Web RTC, set a Printer Type Deny List, and change Intranet Redirect Behavior from Chromium.
- Fixed a crash on launch on Mac with the error message “AlertNotificationService cannot be opened because of a problem.”
- Fixed a crash when navigating to different websites while certain extensions are installed.
- Fixed a crash when using Pinterest suggestions in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the … menu inside a collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where websites sometimes fail to sign in with an ERR_SSL_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT_NEEDED error after rebooting the device.
Edge Dev Channel Changed behavior:
- Changed favorite folder flyouts from the Favorites Bar to no longer dismiss when opening a favorite in a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where streaming music from Spotify when it’s installed as an app/PWA sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where extension icons can’t be moved between the address bar and the … menu because the context menu option to do so is grayed out.
- Fixed an issue where the search box on the new tab page sometimes doesn’t work after entering full screen mode.
- Fixed an issue where autofill suggestions aren’t appearing on webpages where they should be.
- Fixed an issue where annotations on a Web Capture sometimes get unintentionally erased.
- Fixed an issue where certain Collections features aren’t accessible if the pane is zoomed beyond a certain level.
- Fixed an issue where Text Notes in a read-only PDF aren’t accessible.
- Obsoleted the management policies for Default Plugin Settings, Plugins Allowed For Urls, Plugins Blocked For Urls, and Run All Flash In Allow Mode due to the impending retirement of Flash.
- The new tab button sometimes is placed incorrectly after closing a tab. It should still be functional.
- Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux. As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled. We’re currently investigating.
- Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube. As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14… for more details.
- Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error. The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it.
- Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load. This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed.
- Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.
- After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help.
- Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other. Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices. This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag.
- There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it.
This Edge Dev channel update should download and install directly but in case it doesn’t then you can head to the Edge settings and manually update the browser.